Friday, June 28, 2024

Still chugging along sort of

 Of course, when I have no money, Knit Picks is having a huge sale on yarn. Sock yarn is half off and some colors are 60% off. Dangit! Not that I need more yarn of course but..

First, there is progress but slow on the blue wave sock project, managing two balls of yarn on a project like this is not for the easily frustrated. I discovered a thin spot in the stitches, luckily had only gone that round before I noticed it.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

And I blame knitting at night in low light to not seeing it until the next day under my desk lamp. I only had to back off the front and that back side to get the yarn to a position to use the 'Magic Knot' to fix it. 

Major structural failure. I thought it was just the plastic coating that was coming off so I was trying to kind of inch it back to the joint. Then, as I was knitting I felt it being sharp and saw this. That is a multi-strand metal cable that seems to be about as thin as sewing thread. Probably three strands twisted together so only one was left. I wondered if it was the way I was knitting and cramping that joint under my little finger all the time. I composed myself, took pictures and then fed it onto another needle. The only one I had left was the wooden one also from KP and it is very much not good for this project. The cable is fatter and the needles are varnished wood so they do not slide as well. I contacted customer service (this happened a week ago) and was told another cable would be shipped out within 7 days. Confirmed my address with them and according to the package tracking it left Columbus, OH the day after my request was processed so I should have it by Monday. Oh well. I think it's going by ground transit. Really.

I remember in the early days of the company they had issues with the purple cables pulling out of the socket entirely. I have an old one that I still have that was separating and instead of getting a new replacement I just got out the super glue equivalent and glued it back in. Easy fix. If it had come apart on a project (as it has happened before) that would be annoying but still be solved easily.

As for the cat bed, no progress on that but have done a few rows on the hat. In a kind of creative slump the last week or two and that happens. It's gotten very warm so that takes a toll on sitting and knitting as well as moods.

 
That's it for the crafty yarn hobbies for this week. Not much going on for progress just had to chronicle the excitement for the week. Happy crafting! May your yarn never tangle and your needles be sharp (and hook be handy).

No comments: