Wednesday, February 14, 2024

New storage and organization and hooboy!

 An advantage to living in a complex such as ours, is sometimes random furniture or items show up on the community patio table that are just what I was needing. I went down yesterday on the way to the garden and a 3x3x1 cubby shelf thing was out there. It looked like it got a bit man handled in a move but was just the thing I needed for reorganizing my yarn!











Previously that space was my purple file box, the grey tub with bags and bags of projects and yarn. There is about two feet between the cubby and my side of the bed now and likely was the same before but it feels more crowded because it's a solid wall and a bit taller. It's much better though and as Rocky was investigating it and checking it out I suddenly realized why I never had my yarn out in the open.

(this is actually before the other two pictures) He sniffed everything thoroughly and then I realized it was an open playground of yarn for him. Also he likes climbing things and getting into the cupboards and I thought 'oh no, going to have to put everything back into bags because of the little furbutt'. Surprisingly, he is not interested in getting into the empty cubby sections, only pulled on ball of yarn out because he was throwing a tantrum while I was taking a shower. He can easily jump onto the top of that but only did it once so far. 

I have an underbed storage box that I had full balls of yarn in previous to this. I swapped out those balls, but the random partially used yarn and soon to be frogged projects in that box and put the whole balls in the cubby with more active or recent projects in bags. That farthest stack has my sock project, three shawls and the shrug. This way I can just pick what I'm going to work on at any given time, toss it in a travel bag if I'm going out and sitting a while, and pop it back in there. Now I do have some all or partial wool yarns that I also belatedly thought they were safer in a bag from moths. I'll be looking for the cubby containers, most likely the collapsible fabric ones to put everything in to also keep the yarn out of Mr. FurPerson's view.

I can't believe how many shawls I have in progress! 

The Diamond Homespun Shawl


Bella Botanica Shawl 


Patons Fern Leaf Shawl (currently working on)

Shawl in a Ball Eyelet Shawl

 And lastly this purple green and white which I forget what pattern and the yarn it is but I made a different shawl years ago for a friend in the same yarn and then proceeded to make one for myself because the yarn is so fluffy and pretty. I just had a hunch and it's the Haruni Shawl by Emily Ross and I found it on the KnitPicks site.
 

Once that is done I will likely gift it to another friend who loves those colors as well. I saved a LOT of my patterns in Dropbox which I still have access to thankfully. Most of my books and other patterns are on my Ravelry library.

What can I say? I went through a lace shawl phase for a while. I discovered how to read charts and now that's my preferred way of doing a pattern. I remember my epiphany when I looked at a chart and suddenly realized it wasn't any different than a cross stitch chart that had symbols for the different colors. The difference is with knitting, the symbols for the different stitches are mostly universal. As long as the symbols are constant, you can read most any chart for knitting or crochet no matter the language of the creator. Note I said 'most any' because some patterns have a written preface or instruction for starting. But that's what google is for right?

I think most of my other projects I may have ever done are completed and gifted, though I do think there's still a box or two of things in storage. 

Oh well, out of sight out of mind.



No comments: