Wednesday, January 3, 2024

A pattern found and rainy weather

 It is finally rainy, cold winter weather here so the fingerless gloves are being used every night now while at the computer. I'm going to be making another pair in a slightly different pattern due to quirks discovered in the way I did this one. The thumb hole is not offset from the back so the cable pattern gets pulled to the side. I don't like the way the seed stitch bind off is a bit tight around my knuckles and the cable pattern is not the same for both. I was just winging it on the pattern but they keep my hands and wrists warm. It really makes a difference.


I found the pattern for the eyelet shawl surprisingly! I had to remember how long ago I started it and then chanced looking in dropbox. There it was. Well part of it, I had found the pattern in either a book I have or a book that was at the store and took a picture of the main part of the pattern instructions. Luckily had named it 'eyelet shawl'. Hahaha! so that is in progress again, there's over 200 stitches in a row right now and need to get up to 300 something so I do one row a day at this rate, juggling that with my other project. 

I started a pair of slippers. The idea in my head was to use the Lion Brand Jeans yarn I have, in the Topstitch and New Blue (I think?). I frogged a scarf that I had started and it's been languishing. I was thinking of having the brown color as the bottom of the slipper making it look like a shoe and the blue would be the sock part on the top. Yeah, no such pattern that I could find. The pattern I found that is close is 'Men's Dorm Boots' from  Needle Beetle. That is the picture from the pattern and this is what I have so far:


 



It is an entirely funky way of doing a slipper bottom and for whatever reason, I screwed it up. Working in a circle, the cast on edge is going to be sewn together on the bottom of the sole. Well about six rounds in I couldn't figure out why it felt odd. I looked at it, looked at what I was doing and suddenly realized I was knitting counter clockwise. 

I pondered for a good several minutes on whether to rip it back or not then when I got to the beginning of the round I just reversed direction. When I got to the beginning again I picked up a thread from below and knitted it together with the next stitch. It's the back of the slipper, integrity of the structure isn't compromised and the intended person will never know. 

So you can see the cast on edge is nice and neat, slightly pulled in. Well after I started that blue I got all tangled up and again came to the realization I had somehow flipped it inside out. ::smh:: 

HOW IS THIS SO DIFFICULT!? I've done top down sweaters, socks, hats and never had this issue. And I discovered this mistake AFTER I cut the brown yarn free and had twisted the two colors together. Luckily I was only two rows in so I knit those back, untangled everything, switched it around and took a deep breath. Wow. 

Now, my idea for the next one (or pair) is to do the Turkish cast on and see how that works. Since the rows are alternating knit and purl to get the knit look I'll have to be careful with the first rounds. This will also eliminate the need for stitching up the bottom and creating a seam that might cause a lump.


Okay and now on to the frustration and anger that ensued when I was searching for a pattern to do the slipper. No pictures because it doesn't do any good. I was searching for 'toe up slippers' just on google and that got me very few leads. I then smacked my head and went to the Ravelry search. That got me even fewer that were free patterns of a style that I was looking for and then saw patterns for 'Cottage Socks', 'Cottage Slippers', 'Dorm Socks' and then finally 'Dorm Slippers'. Most all of the boot socks and anything with socks in the name either was using worsted held together or sock yarn.

Sigh..okay let's try pinterest.  Bad idea. Very bad, not good. There was a picture of a two needle pattern for a slipper that looked great... it was repinned in a few places so the issue was that the original site is not to be found. The page that posted it was for crochet patterns. That one didn't show at all. Okay two hours later of looking and I finally see that it's some pattern in Turkish. Very broken Turkish considering I took a gyazo picture of it then converted to an image and then isolated the text and plugged that into google translate. Wow. And it turned out to be less than helpful. 

It was a very frustrating two days chasing down patterns that looked great but ran into dead ends every time. When I found this one, I had to save the blog page with the pattern in my bookmarks and then select just the text and copy it to Pages and convert to a pdf. 

It's exhausting just recounting it now. It was just so aggravating that people will just repost a picture or pattern image just for the clicks to a different website. I wasn't the only one, there were people in the comments of the pin saying they wanted the pattern and how the site didn't match the picture at all. So it's not just me.

If I had another set of size 2 circs I'd be starting another set of gloves using sock yarn. I also discovered that a grandchild loves socks and that will be yet another project to start for them hopefully finish a pair by October for their birthday. 

Finishing projects is my main goal for this year. But there's so much pretty yarn to make things with!

No comments: