Monday, January 8, 2024

Regress and Progress...

 

This sock has been on hold since October due to Christmas gift knitting, I decided that I may not have enough yarn to do two socks so........... I pulled it off the needles and wound it up again. I then...silly me, decided that a more accurate ball was needed so I started a new ball from that. Thought I would just wind until the two balls were the same size and then see about making some fingerless gloves. Decided not to.

I thought I had taken a picture of the velvet yarn blanket I was working on but I guess I just stared at it long enough I thought I had. The pooling of the colors was wonderful argyle criss cross and you could barely see the stitch pattern. I frogged it all as well. I started that lap/baby blanket years ago also because I loved the color combination. Teal, medium and dark brown and caramel color just speaks to me on a deep level for some reason.

I was doing a 'brick' stitch of 6x6 knit and purl blocks then was going to pick up the edges and knit a border but then thought, I really, really need a snuggly warm bed sweater. Soooooo, I pulled all of that out and balled it up and am now writing my own pattern. The yarn is discontinued but what I know is it is the Bernat Velvet yarn from the contest they had a few years ago. I am sure I have the ball band still somewhere as it had a code on the inside to check if you won (which obviously I didn't). When I finish the pattern I'll post it here.

As for progress, still working on the blue shawl when I want to sit and knit one row in a half hour.



And the dorm boot is now into the home stretch with the ribbing cuff. Still haven't decided how to do the sole on the bottom other than following the instructions which are kind of lame and given the size I have might not be big enough. It's a test and will try it out on my feet first before making another set for my partner.

It is getting very cold at night, down to frost/freezing temps so I need layers to stay warm. Yes I could have used a lap blanket but a sweater for the morning and evening is more needed. Looking forward to finishing that sweater. 

I had an urge to start yet another shawl from a pattern one of the group had posted. I remembered i had this really thin yarn and I feel very proud I did not cast on for another project. I first wanted to see what the stitch count was like and what other people had made with it. I discovered most everyone that had used this had knitted it doubled. I toyed with the idea of using the blue paired with the lavender I also have which would be an amazing combination. Haven't done a swatch with that yet. I was doing a test swatch on size 1 needles held single and it was a good solid fabric, like machine knit weight, which is not really what you want for a shawl. So since my 2s are in use and I don't have a cable long enough to do a shawl, the yarn goes back in the box under the bed.

My phone died so can't upload a picture of the top down turtleneck 'dicky' I have as well. Another one from the Bernat Deco yarn. That's for next time and hopefully will have further progress on everything else.

I do more knitting in winter and more gardening in the summer, because that's what you do.


 

 





No comments: