Monday, January 22, 2024

Have been busy with other things.

 It's been raining, my phone died completely, errors on a catastrophic level getting a replacement shipped to me and still waiting.

But other than that, not much new on the needles other than a test swatch and slippers.











So I was wanting to knit a pair of slippers for me and my honey and was considering all manner of things. The blue/brown version is still unfinished but then I found the old pattern for 'super simple slippers'. It turns out a lot like a ballet style slipper which, for these old feet, will not do. I happened to have a cake of purple super saver and started knitting. I suspect this was meant for the average female foot because it's almost too small. Definitely too short as the sides barely get to my ankles. 

Here's the pattern:

Standard worsted weight yarn 
Size 7 needles
Gauge 9 sts = 2 inches

CO 31 sts and leave at least an 8 inch tail
Work in Garter Stitch for 5-5 1/2 inches (slip the first stitch of every row to make edge neater)
After reaching desired length change to 1x1 ribbing.
Continue  ribbing until you are one inch less than the length of the foot. If you like it a bit roomier or have wide feet, go the length of your foot.
Next row: K1, *k2 together, k1 continue to the end
Next row: K2 tog all the way across end k1
Cut yarn with about 20 inch tail for sewing up.
Use yarn needle and thread yarn through stitches on the needle pull up and fasten the yarn then sew the ribbing section until you get to the garter stitch, secure end and weave in.
Use the cast on tail to sew up the heel seam and weave in end.

Now, here's where I got creative.
I got a softer worsted weight yarn, I think it was Homestead?? Much softer type of yarn and the point is to make it look like it's a sock coming out of the slipper ( I am actually wearing a sock when I tried it on and it was nice and toasty). I started at the heel seam and picked up stitches all the way around the leg opening. The front seam was rather tricky and not the neatest job will try and do better with the second one. You should end up with 51 stitches. It's rather tight knitting until you get to the top portion, use magic loop or two circulars for this.
K1, P1 rib for however long you want, about three or four inches is good for short 'sock'.

Loosely bind off, weave in the ends and you're done. Now go do a second one. I dare you.

So that's a first, going to try and do the same thing with the brown and blue 'Jeans' yarn instead of the disaster of a slipper I was making.

Also still no progress on the sock, frogged back the velvet blanket and am kniting a shrug cuff to cuff with that. Now on to the big project.


 I saw someone else's project somewhere that was a multi color 'Lego' style brick blanket pattern. Knitted, not crocheted. I immediately thought of my daughter and sent her the picture. She's all in for me making a lego blanket and will buy the yarn for it.

It uses bobble stitch which I have not done a lot before. That's a bad picture but it's my first swatch test for the blocks. That's a size 7 needle with the Cotton Ease yarn. As soon as the purple is off my needles I'll be practicing with that next.

Another thing is the only knitted pattern anywhere is made by a lady in Britain, it's a paid pattern AND it's intarsia (where you keep bobbins of the different colors and knit across the rows and connect them as you go),

 

So it can get 'quite fiddly' as some knitters say. It's another challenge and the only other option is to do all the blocks separately and sew them together. I am not a hand quilter thank you.

And since this will have bobbles, there's going to be dimples on all the pieces so it's going to look a bit messy on the back and am considering IF I do this blanket, then it will need a back.

Will see what happens.

Either that or a temperature blanket. Neither are good options for 'short attention span knitters' like me.

So lots of rain, no phone and therefore not much to do inside but knit. Or be on the computer. Sighing over yarn and patterns.

This would be my color palette for a temperature blanket. Next year. Maybe.



No comments: