Friday, January 5, 2024

Progress and temptation

 The 'Dorm Boot' is finally making progress after having to knit back about three or four rows. I discovered a gap between the two decreases and at first thought, 'I'll just use some yarn and pull it closed'. I then realized I would have more ends to weave in and it would likely not work well. So knitting back happened.











Where it was and where I ended up. Turned out I think just didn't pull the yarn tight between them or doubled back maybe, doesn't matter, it's fixed.


After fixing and where I am now. Technically that bottom edge gets sewn together so only half the brown would show on the sides. I'm considering looking for slipper soles or knitting across to leave that much showing. I like it that way.

Still progressing on my Shawl in a Ball eyelet shawl. Averaging about a row or two a day so slow going now considering there's almost 300 stitches now. If I had to use this yarn again I would cake it on a winder first. 

I love the colorway and it's turning out really well but the variations in the yarn thickness and composition is a bit aggravating. Thick and fuzzy then thin and stringy, I'm looking at other options for lace weight yarn for another project now, hence the temptation part.

I've seen the Hobbii ads (they're based in Denmark of all places) and they have some good deals on yarn but want to find something closer to home in a long gradation coloring like this. I then realized I have a bout eight balls of the blue green sock yarn. The current sock I'm knitting is okay but isn't turning out the size I thought. 


I'm using a fern leaf lace inset and I think that's what made a difference. There's no negative ease on it so either I wash it and see if it shrinks or do something else.

I'm going to do something else but not right away. I have no needles long enough of a size I need to do a huge shawl. Besides, what I really need is a bed jacket/sweater, not a shawl.

I was looking at AFW (Arcane Fibre Works) and Hobbii, doing a comparison and AFW has some gorgeous yarns that I would need to order two skeins for free shipping or Hobbii and get one cake that has all the yardage I would need and likely cost about the same. So given that I have more than enough yarn to do something I will stop looking at the sites and make do with what I have.

The best bet is a sparkly yellow acrylic I was going to make a rectangle shawl out of or a sweater (can't remember) so that is what I will be using to make a bed sweater out of. It's worsted weight which I have plenty of size needles for and just have to find a good top down pattern at hand to start it.

No cables, maybe a lace pattern, shawl collar, all done in one piece. Best place to find a pattern like that is in a book in storage somewhere. Dangit. Off to Ravelry to see if there's a good pattern there.

That's all I have for knitting this week, lots of things on the needles so progress as it happens.


No comments: